Internet and Facebook privacy

Here is another post about facebook being insecure.  I thought the author did an excellent job making his point, and yes I am a frog, who's facebook account is more public then I may have thought it to be.   On the more radical side, I am not convinced that I mind.  Certainly, I do not like facebook creating confusing policies about my, or others information, and it has done so, but my debate is not about facebook, it is the more fundamental question, How much do I need to keep private?

Sure I do not want to be stalked, and I do not want to have to worry about strangers.  But the problem is not with those people, the very small minority of people who are malevolent.  The problem is the people who are using the information without realizing that it might harm me.  It is the friends of friends, who are looking the images of me, and making decisions about who I am.  It is the possible co-worker who knows someone I know, and thinks maybe I should not be friends with them, or thinks that I should not be a member of some organization that leads us to try to hide the information in the first place.

It is getting harder to hide those things, and maybe that is a good thing, but how can anyone be sure?  Is supporting the EFF a problem? It might be for some people you know.  What about NRA?  Would that be a problem?  I leave the judgments up to you.

I am not sure if this is the time for you to decide not to be afraid of letting people know who you are, and what you stand for, and if you are sure it is not, there are alternatives.  But I for one, am going to stick with the friends of friends, and see how it turns out.

No comments:

Post a Comment